Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Love Valentine's Day Stories

I hope that everyone who had a good V-Day will blog about it! I love hearing stories of sweethearts doing nice things for each other. I'm glad we have a day set aside to make sure we express our love to the people who matter most to us.

Here's my story! Amazingly, I had a great Valentine's Day, even though the kids have been sick and today I got pretty sick too. It was tons better than last year, when I spent it alone, thinking of Jeff, who was trying to survive his first few days of Boot Camp. Before he left, he gave me beautiful wooden roses that would last forever, but it just wasn't the same as being together.

This year, I was amazed at how thoughtful he was. On Saturday I got sick and felt pretty yucky all day long. Jeff got breakfast. He made lunch (a delicious appetizer platter!) and even made dinner. He changed poopy diapers and watched both sick kiddos so I could take a nap. The next day he surprised me with a box of truffles. And it was a big surprise because when we were dating, in a moment of temporary insanity, I told him I didn't especially prefer chocolates as a gift. That has since been cleared up. :) After he gave me the original box, he went and got something else and came back with his hands behind his back and said "Valentine's Day chocolates should not be homogenous." I knew that meant more were on the way! He gave me a bag of white chocolate (YUM!!) and peanut butter truffles. Yay! I am set, chocolate-wise for a while! And I decided to take the wrappers from all the truffles and mod podge the box they came in. Hey, the wrappers were pretty, and I love boxes.

I tried to take my turn and give him a day of rest and his favorite food yesterday, but since I was still pretty sick, I didn't make it too far in my plan. I made heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, which were fun. But I didn't get to make his favorite dinner. We're trying for that again tonight (it's Monday now).

This morning, though, he surprised me with another breakfast, since the one he had originally wanted to get Saturday morning couldn't be had since businesses were closed due to the snow storm. (giggle) But the kindest thing he has done for me was this morning.

Both kids have been having a really hard time sleeping due to congestion and just overall yuckiness. Katelyn woke up at midnight, super clogged. I tried to suck her nose out, but the gunk was so deep, that I just couldn't get it. I tried pose after pose, but she could never get comfortable enough to sleep for more than a few minutes. At about 5:00 (yes, I had been up since 12!) Jeff realized I wasn't in bed, and came out and offered to watch Katelyn so I could go back to bed. This is a really big sacrifice for Jeff, because he's putting in crazy long hours at work, and is running behind on sleep already. That really made me feel loved. I got two blissful hours of sleep, then got up and sent him back to bed.

I am married to a wonderful man, who places others before himself, takes good care of his family, and makes me feel like I am the most important, beautiful, talented, intelligent woman in the whole world. I sure love him.

What's your Valentine's story this year?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Aw, yay! :) Glad you had such a marvelous Valentine's Day!

Kimi Price said...
This comment has been removed by the author.