Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fire Alarm Mania

Last night was rough.

First, we went to bed much later than we should have. Especially poor Jeff, who leaves for work at 5am.

Then Katelyn woke up a few times. Where did my good little sleeper go?

Then our power turned off, and came back to different parts of the house at different times. When it came back on to where Jeff and I were sleeping, it made the fire alarm go into test mode. I woke up kind of groggy and remembered that this had happened once before and I hoped it would turn off on its own like it had last time.

Then the power came back on to the kids' rooms, and made the fire alarms right above their heads go berzerk, which absolutely terrorized the babies. That wasn't a fun situation to wake up to.

BBBRIIIINNNGGG!!

Me: Jeff, the fire alarms in the kids' rooms are going off!

Jeff: snore

Me: How do we turn them off?!

Jeff: idunnosnore

Poor Jeffy was screaming his head off, so I went and got him first. I put him on the floor and he kept pointing at the alarm, screaming. I took him to the family room and put him on the couch, then went to get Katelyn, who was less terrified, but only marginally.

As soon as I got them to the family room, the alarms stopped. I don't know why they did that, but I plan to call housing today and figure it out!

Katelyn got calmed down pretty quickly and went back to bed, but Jeffy wouldn't even go back in his room, so I brought him into bed with us. Bad idea, but I didn't know what else to do.

He doesn't sleep with us very often, so he was pretty excited. He kept asking "what's that? what's that?" not caring if I answered or not. I couldn't get him to whisper, so he was kind of loud. He had a hard time falling asleep and kept me awake too. I think Jeff got some sleep, but it wasn't very good sleep.

About three hours later, (I'd gotten a few pockets of 15 minutes of sleep) Jeff gets up to get ready for work, and I put Jeffy back into his own bed.

I slept from 4:00 to 7:00 and that was the best sleep I got all night.

I hope this doesn't happen again!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Here's to hoping you get a good rest today, maybe? :) Fire alarms are so loud!